International Travelers

Visas and other documents

You are responsible for all travel arrangements, including procurement of visas, if necessary, and acquisition of currency sufficient for your stay. A formal letter of invitation for the 2021 meeting to help acquire visas or funding is available. If you require a personalized version of the invitation letter, please send your request to Tammy Liberati.

For those JMIH 2021 participants traveling from a foreign country, please be advised that the U.S. requires a visa for most international travelers, except travelers from Canada and countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program. If you want to visit (and not live in) the United States you must first obtain a visitor visa. Travelers from certain countries may be exempt. If you want to travel to the United States for reasons other than business or pleasure, such as study or work, you must apply for a visa in the appropriate category.

DHS provides a full range of online resources to help you plan your trip, manage your arrival and if needed extend your stay.

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

Visa Waiver Program travelers are required to apply for and receive an approved travel authorization via ESTA to board a plane or vessel bound for the United States. (A travel authorization via ESTA is not a guarantee of admission into the United States. Travelers must establish their eligibility for the program during inspection by an officer at a port of entry.)

In most instances, ESTA applicants will receive real-time notification on the disposition of their application to travel to the United States. Applicants denied an ESTA will be advised to apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy.

For more information, and to apply for a travel authorization, see ESTA.

Plan Your Trip

  • Obtain a Visitor VISA - (U.S. State Department) Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The visa allows a foreign citizen, to travel to the United States port-of entry and request permission of the U.S. immigration inspector to enter the U.S.

  • Determine the correct VISA category - (USCIS) There are more than 20 nonimmigrant visa types for people traveling to the United States temporarily. There are many more types of immigrant visas for those coming to live permanently in the United States. The type of visa you need is determined by the purpose of your intended travel. Get help determining the right VISA category at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services homepage.

  • OBIM - Provides biometric identification services to federal, state and local government decision makers to help them accurately identify the people they encounter and determine whether those people pose a risk to the United States. OBIM currently applies to all international visitors (with limited exemptions) entering the United States, but not to U.S. citizens.

  • Visa Waiver Program: Passport Requirements Timeline - As of October 26, 2006, any passport issued on or after this date by a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country must be an e-Passport for VWP travelers to be eligible to enter.

  • Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) - A fully automated, electronic system for screening passengers before they begin travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. Voluntary ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel to the United States, and Visa Waiver Program travelers are encouraged to apply for authorization as soon as they begin to plan a trip to the U.S.

Your Arrival

  • Locate a Port Of Entry - Air, Land, or Sea (CBP) - At a port of entry, CBP enforces the import and export laws and regulations of the U.S. federal government and conducts immigration policy and programs. Ports also perform agriculture inspections to protect the USA from potential carriers of animal and plant pests or diseases that could cause serious damage to America's crops, livestock, pets, and the environment.

  • Global Entry Program (CBP) - Expedited screening and processing for pre-screened international travelers entering the United States.

  • CBP Traveler Entry Forms (CBP) - Whether you are a visitor to the United States or U.S. citizen, each individual arriving into the United States must complete one or more of U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) entry forms.

  • DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP) - If you have difficulties experienced during their travel screening at transportation hubs--like airports and train stations--or crossing U.S. borders, use this system to make inquiries or seek resolution.