GUIDELINES FOR ORAL PRESENTATIONS
PRESENTERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF THEIR PRESENTATIONS. JMIH ORGANIZERS, THE JMIH SOCIETIES AND SPONSORS OF THE MEETING ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CONTENT.
Contributed paper sessions will take place daily from the afternoon of Thursday, July 28 through Sunday, July 31 at the Spokane Convention Center. Oral presentations that are not part of one of the symposia are grouped by subject matter.
Recommendations for slides:
- Use 16 x 9 format in either PowerPoint or pdf.
- Use relatively few words in order to maximize font sizes. Avoid large blocks of text.
- Keep the font clear and simple - sans serif fonts like Arial are easiest to read digitally. Text should be at least 18 point font.
- Over 10% of our membership is visually impaired.
- Use color combinations that are clearly distinguishable for those with color blindness. Consider this post from BrightCarbon on accessibility in PowerPoint and this post from ASCB on accessibility with figures. This post from ColorBrewer is a good tool to choose color combinations.
- Consider this post from BrightCarbon on accessibility for those with dyslexia.
Considerations for talks:
- Time limits will be strictly enforced: 15 minutes total (12 minutes for presentation and three minutes for questions).
- Over 10% of our membership is hearing impaired. Use of the microphone is required. Questioners will also be using microphones. If a question is not spoken into a microphone, repeat the question in the mic and then answer it.
Submitting slides for presentation:
- Prior to the meeting, oral presenters can submit their presentation(s) [preferably 16×9 format either powerpoint or PDF] by email to the A/V company at email@example.com.
- NOTE: Email submissions will end on Tuesday July 26.
- Submissions after Tuesday, July 26 will need to be delivered in person to the on-site receiving A/V room.
Use the following format when naming your files:
Session # - Military Time - Last Name
13 - 9:45 - Smith
27 - 13:30 - Berry
- Onsite oral presenters should submit their presentations to a speaker ready room representative by 5:00 p.m. the day preceding their presentation. Before arriving, be prepared with the file format naming information–see above.
- The Speaker Ready Room will be set up in Room 202A of the Spokane Convention Center to receive presentations at the following times: Wednesday, July 27, 1 to 5 p.m.; Thursday, July 28 through Saturday, July 30, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m; Sunday, July 31, 7:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- The technical coordinators available will immediately load and review presentations as they are submitted.
- A presenter’s memory stick will be returned when the presentation has been successfully loaded.
Options for practicing talks:
- Speaker Prep Rooms will be available in Room 102B and Room 102C.
- They will be equipped with computers, screens and projectors available for speakers to practice their presentations.
- A sign-up sheet will be posted outside each room.
- Speaker prep rooms are available beginning Wednesday, July 27, 1 to 5 p.m.. They will also be open Thursday, July 28 through Saturday, July 30, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m, and Sunday, July 30, 7:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Session moderators have been designated to facilitate each session. The names of moderators are noted in the session schedule.
CANCELLATIONS/EDITS TO PRESENTATIONS
AFTER MAY 1, if you plan to cancel your presentation, make an edit to your title, make a change in speakers, change in presentation dates, etc., please fill out the information HERE or click the button below. If you are making a change to more than one presentation (such as a Poster and an Oral), fill out the information separately (i.e. fill out the information for the oral presentation, then on another line fill out the information for the poster presentation). Updates will be made as soon as possible and will be noted on the document when the request is completed.JMIH 2022 Abstract Changes/Cancellations